Peter Bennett

Default Low-end GPS

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:44:04 -0500, "Wim" wrote:

Hi Chuck,
Not knowing anything about GPS's, but I'm looking/shopping at the moment for
one. I noticed several with a MOB(red button) on the keypad. Would not a
series of MOB's give you a running score of waypoints? I assume they can be
re-entered or moved with a proper description?
Just a thought FWIW--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

"MOB" is a special function - you would rarely want to use it to
create "normal" waypoints. The MOB function creates a waypoint
(called "MOB") at the current location _and_ sets that waypoint as the
"target" of a "GoTo". This is fine if you really want to return to
the marked location (as you would to pick up a person overboard), but
not so great if you are already following a route or goto at the time,
and just want to mark a location.

I think most GPS receivers also have a "mark" or "quick waypoint"
function (my Garmin 12XL does) which allows you to create a waypoint
at the current location without upsetting any active navigation. My
12XL provides a default numeric name for such waypoints, but the name
can be changed as you store the waypoint or at any later time.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI