Brian Whatcott

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:06:22 -0500, DSK wrote:

.... A polishing system recirculates and each pass
through the filter removes more because a filter is much more than just a
fancy sieve. I dunno.

Sounds good in theory, and as Steve says his TP filters get a lot of gunk out of
there. But I still have no confidence at all that they are not shedding gunk
too.

/snip/
Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Actually, 'depth' filters sound TERRIBLE in theory.
Use a what?
A toilet roll? A kitchen roll? Gimme a break.

It is in practice that they do best.
Over the road operators brag repeatedly about astronomical mileages -
some of them practice only filter change and filter bowl oil make up
only... no complete oil changes.

Winnowing through the stuff from true believers, it looks like depth
filters can carry a much larger particle load and can filter to
smaller particulate sizes. They will certainly trap water, though I am
unsure how far that reduces the filtration efficiency and/or increases
particle transmission.

Depth filters have plenty of background: I ran an aircraft rated depth
filter made of deep cloth layers for five years in a light airplane.
The brand was "Winslow" You bet the price did not compare with a
kitchen roll however.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK