H the K[_2_] H the K[_2_] is offline

Default Children toting firepower...

wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:39:08 -0400, H the K
wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote:
In most states those who have guns
have passed back ground checks, so have been "validated".

In some states, there are ways around the "validation" because of the
gun show loophole, which must be closed.

I believe he is talking about the Concealed Carry permit
investigation. That is right up there with the one you need to buy a
machine gun.
In real life, gun control advocacies should love the CCW license. It
gets gun owners mandatory gun safety education, police checks,
fingerprints and photo ID. Isn't that what people have been asking for
since the 60s?
The reality is most CCW holders seldom carry anyway, once the novelty
wears off. The strange thing is, the places where I would want to
carry a gun, prohibit it.

In most states, if you buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you have to
fill out a federal form, and the dealer then calls in the info to a
federal facility set up to do so-called instant screenings to see if
your name pops up on any of the federal "don't sell a gun to him"
databases. That has nothing to do with a concealed carry permit, which
is a state matter.

In Virginia, if you go to a gun show, there will be licensed dealers and
unlicensed dealers and individual sellers. The latter two groups can
sell their firearms to anyone, and not "bother" with the form or phone call.

I have several CCW permits, and they required completion of real gun
safety education courses, fingerprints, state police background checks,
photo ID and in one case, a letter from local law enforcement officials.