Larry W4CSC

Default Low-end GPS - Thanks

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:50:31 GMT, Chuck Bollinger
wrote:

I appreciate the thoughtful replies. It confirms what I had suspected. As far
as entering info from the laptop: I go through this 'entering numbers' thing on
the GPS to stay aloof from the laptop. I've had a series of evil things happen
at bad times, which is why we have the chart-pack out when in non-home waters.
If the laptop goes I lose a toy, but not my position or ability to navigate.

This is a good group.

Chuck, if you ever see one for sale, just buy it......

http://www.yeomanuk.com/home/index2.htm

My Capn had a Yeoman XL Sport, the foam laptop model. It fell apart
when he left it in a hot Atlanta sun inside his pickup truck
(150F?...C???) I took out the PC board with the computer mounted to
it and used double-sided 5lb/inch tape to stick it to the bottom of
Lionheart's mahogany chart table lid. The Chart Table now has a
mouse/puck that takes the drudgery out of charting on paper. Works
with any chart on any scale......from any cheap GPS that outputs NMEA
0183 to feed it your position. Accuracy is the width of your pencil.
Sure is nice to click a point or your current position and just point
the puck to another point on the chart and be handed range and azimuth
on the LCD screen...(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN