Chuck Bollinger

Default Low-end GPS - Thanks

I appreciate the thoughtful replies. It confirms what I had suspected. As far
as entering info from the laptop: I go through this 'entering numbers' thing on
the GPS to stay aloof from the laptop. I've had a series of evil things happen
at bad times, which is why we have the chart-pack out when in non-home waters.
If the laptop goes I lose a toy, but not my position or ability to navigate.

This is a good group.

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

At the Work Boat Show (Seattle) on Friday I was looking for a fixed
mount GPS to replace my beloved Micrologic Mariner which is showing some
senility. I found the Garmin GPS 152 and the Furuno GP-32 and 37.
They'd probably do the job.

Thing is, though, neither of them has a keypad. So I'd like to know
from a user just how, and how quickly, a waypoint can be entered. Ever
since I had a laptop disaster I've taken to putting waypoints in
manually as I need them rather than storing more than a couple. It
takes less than 10 seconds on my Mariner. How about either of these two
units.

Alternatively, can someone recommend perhaps another unit, like these
two, that does have a keypad entry?

Thanks