Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Radar vs GPS/Sounder

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:54:00 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Thanks for the input!

I didn't mean an either/or scenario - it's more like: if I have
GPS/sounder/charts, what extra does radar give me? And of course, it DOES show
vessels, etc., but I'm thinking that's mainly a consideration in fog, and I'm
wondering if I would venture out even if I HAD radar (after all, what if the
radar quits?).

So is radar worth it for the 1 day a year I MIGHT venture out in fog?

Or, to put it differently, what ELSE is radar good for? Can I use it to
determine if a freighter 10 miles away is on a collision course with me? Do
others normally run with radar on, even if it's clear? Why?

That is actually a different question, because a radar has value for
measurement even when you can see.

Example 1: If you need to anchor in a confined space, and the
obstructions all show on the radar, you can maximize your scope by
finding the center of a range circle that just kisses the three
nearest obstructions.

2) Your chart shows you the safe distance from a headland. You put a
circle of that radius on the screen. and steer so it doesn't
intersect.

3) When you see a ship, you can put a bearing line on it and a range
circle. If the ship comes inside the circle without moving off the
bearing line you need to take action.

In general, you will find that an accurate plan view of the
surroundings is a valuable supplement to eyeballs.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia