Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Low-end GPS

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:30:19 GMT, Chuck Bollinger
wrote:

At the Work Boat Show (Seattle) on Friday I was looking for a fixed mount GPS to
replace my beloved Micrologic Mariner which is showing some senility. I found
the Garmin GPS 152 and the Furuno GP-32 and 37. They'd probably do the job.

Thing is, though, neither of them has a keypad. So I'd like to know from a user
just how, and how quickly, a waypoint can be entered. Ever since I had a laptop
disaster I've taken to putting waypoints in manually as I need them rather than
storing more than a couple. It takes less than 10 seconds on my Mariner. How
about either of these two units.

I use a Garmin, and it is annoying, but doable, to enter waypoints
manually. I can do it while singlehanding if things are not hectic.

When things are happening too fast, and my wife is not with me, Saving
waypoints by number is quick and easy. One then has to call them up at
anchor, and look at a chart to reconstruct where each WP is, THen they
can be labelled.

The Garmin lives out in the weather at the wheel of a sailboat. Inside
a pilot house, I would try to find something with a keypad.

Alternatively, can someone recommend perhaps another unit, like these two, that
does have a keypad entry?

Thanks

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you