Albert P. Belle Isle

Default Bottom painting

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:17:55 -0800, "Ken Shaw"
wrote:

------------------------------ snip -------------------------------

My analysis of this is that one coat can have thin spots or bare spots that
are missed in moving the support pads around. Two coats reduces this risk
and three coats reduces it further. In addition, given the cost of haul out
and the time required, the cost of the extra paint is a small portion of the
bill and worth the extra assurance.

My little Hunter 310 lives where it must be in a yard over the winter,
so hauling out each year is not a separate issue.

However, my quick-and-dirty solution to the annual "missed-a-spot"
problem with ablative paint is alternating between having blue and red
below the waterline. Makes it pretty obvious, either color looks OK on
a white hull, and I try not to sail upside down anyway.

Fair winds,
Al