posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default ??? about taking an outdrive apart

Be very careful dissassembling outboards and outdrives. Many are trashed in
the process of taking them apart. If locktite has been used, the bolt must
be warmed to about 200C to melt the locktite, but the bigger problem is
corrosion. Heat, Kroil, Kerosine,etc all helps. Impact screw drivers (in
both directions) also helps. When built, no anti-seize would have been used
to assemble these and you are now paying the price. You will be very lucky
not to break a screw or bolt.
Steve

dh@. wrote in message ...
I'm trying to take apart a Mercruiser outdrive to replace the boots
which have cracked. It looks a good bit like this one:

http://www.boats.net/_search/images/...4198540716.png

I had to go buy a 1/2 inch allen wrench to remove part #26. They're
very tight, possibly rusted, and I haven't broken them free yet. Is
there anything else holding them, or should I get a cheater bar and
apply a lot more force to break them loose? Any suggestions about this
job would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
David