posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default ??? about taking an outdrive apart

D wrote:
dh@. wrote:
I'm trying to take apart a Mercruiser outdrive to replace the boots
which have cracked. It looks a good bit like this one:

http://www.boats.net/_search/images/...4198540716.png

I had to go buy a 1/2 inch allen wrench to remove part #26. They're
very tight, possibly rusted, and I haven't broken them free yet. Is
there anything else holding them, or should I get a cheater bar and
apply a lot more force to break them loose? Any suggestions about this
job would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
David

A penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster - spray and let sit for a day ot two.

Use the correct tool - 12 point star, if that's what they are. You'll need it.

And don't OVER use an impact driver. Banging (too hard) on the screws with an
impact driver is guaranteed to damage threads in aluminum castings.

Richard