Doug Dotson

Default Machining Characteristics of Plastics

Glad to hear it worked out well. Let me know how it performs. Might
let Doug know how it works as well. He might want to be able to
recommend it to new owners.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
4.17...
I just wanted to let you know that I machined the part earlier this week
and was VERY happy with the finish that I got. It's a smooth as a baby's
bottom. I had to cut 2" pipe threads in it, and they too turned out

great.
Taking larger cuts of .100 to .150 worked great using a very sharp HSS
cutter. Thanks again for the input!

-- Geoff

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in
9.17:

Based upon input from this forum, rec.crafts.metalworking and all of the
pointers that were provided, I decided to go with black UHMW. As
described on some web sites it's the "poor man's teflon" with a very low
coefficient of friction, good UV stability and machines well. On top of
that, a 3"x1' piece of rod UHMW is only $11. I ordered it yesterday
from MSC and it'll be here today.

I've opted to simply machine the UHMW to form the sleave bearing surface
rather than purchase a sleave bearing and mount it in the housing. I'll
let you know how it turns out,

Thanks again for all of the help!

-- Geoff