[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default ATN top climber

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:08:57 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Jul 30, 2:05*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:56:43 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

One additional advantage I haven't mentioned is that unlike mast
steps, or being hauled up in a traditional chair, is that by attaching
the bottom of the static line to various points on deck, you can also
do things like access stuff all along the backstay, forestay and other
places you normally can't reach.

I have been up my forestay in a chair to check the joins in my foil.
Just wear a harness and clip a short loop around the foil.
Use the jib or spinnaker halyard for someone to haul you up.

The main difference is that I don't need anyone else. The limits of
mast steps are obvious. I also don't risk kinking the foil.

GAWD I hate Etriers, dangle and thrash and friggin difficult to climb
and then they twist, almost worse'n a cable ladder. Look into
vertical caving gear, you'll find something cheaper and easier to use.

As I pointed out, I built my own substitute for etriers that I find
vastly superior. My setup has flat footboards that would allow me to
comfortably go up barefoot if I so desired.

One other big advantage over a conventional bosuns chair and being
cranked aloft is that I can stand on the stirrups and be positioned
over the top of the mast looking down. Makes working on items such as
the wind instrument a LOT easier. You can actually see what you are
working on, which some people find to be an advantage.