Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Captains License?

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
slide wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

I would take the course if one were offered near me just to gain the
information. Self study isn't always good enough because you don't know
what to study.

Legal: in theory, you will have more expertise than others so in some
instances you can't plead ignorance.

No argument about that...

I started out with a Coast Guard ticket in the mid '70s while on
active duty in the Navy.

In the last year I've taken most of the ASA classes.
My next step with ASA is an instructor rating .

I was thinking about the 6pack course to get a Captains ticket,
but I don't really need it for what I'm doing.

It is not needed to teach through ASA.

Still considering it, but will probably pass this time.
Maybe some day though...

But I'm curious how many of our local experts have a Captains license?
Or even training from a school like ASA?

Richard

Most schools, either ASA or USSailing, will require a CG license if you're
teaching on a boat with an engine.

50GT here with sailing and towing endorsements.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com