Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Captains License?

"slide" wrote in message
cavelamb wrote:
Our local marina is hosting a Captain's License course (six pack)
next month.

Other than being able to charge passengers for passage, what
would be a good reason to have a captains ticket.

Also?
What's the legal down side?

I would take the course if one were offered near me just to gain the
information. Self study isn't always good enough because you don't know
what to study.

Legal: in theory, you will have more expertise than others so in some
instances you can't plead ignorance.

Self study is valuable, but taking the class would give a wider perspective
to the rules of the road, plotting, etc., than is gained otherwise, IMHO.

As far as legal goes, I would amend your statement to say in "most"
instances if you're the person in command.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com