Daniel E. Best

Default Seeking advice and suggestions

Hey Nomen,
You get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Or do you just
enjoy being abusive? So far today, you've been so to two separate
posters who offered reasonable opinions to Topic-Mimara.

His stated needs we

- between 25 and 40 feet
- It will be used to travel up and down a river that feeds into the ocean
- aft-cabin
- not need much in the way of major mechanical or structural work,
- a maximum price of $11,000.00

Now, there are numerous 25'-27' boats that fit this criteria, but since the name of this newsgroup is rec.boats.cruising, not rec.boats.daysailing, I think it was a reasonable assumption that we're not talking about a MacGregor 25 here. I/we could be wrong here, but that doesn't invalidate the reasonableness of the assumption. The very fact that his range is so broad (25'-40') seems to indicate that he is at the very beginning of the learning curve. This is certainly no crime, we have all been there, even if it was 30 or 40 years ago as is the case with you and I. But it does indicate that he has a lot of learning to do in order to determine what his needs are before he should start thinking of specific makes and models (the advise he asked for).

We've all known a number of people who jumped into boating by purchasing
a largish boat that was more than they could handle or maintain, turning
them off to boating forever. We've also known people who purchased
boats that were cheap but that needed lots or work only to find that the
cost in terms of time, skill and money was beyond their capability to
supply, again resulting in a miserable and often costly experience. The
two people you lambasted expressed concern that this might happen to the
original poster and suggested he may be better advised to set his
initial sights a little lower. Paul suggested that he do some research
on boating and gave him some good links to start with. Rufus suggested
that he actually get some experience on others boats. Both good
suggestions in my opinion.

You obviously do not share these opinions and chose to express your
disagreement by slinging abuse their way. If all those at your marina
are as unreasonable and unpleasant as you, I probably wouldn't last very
long there either.

I've no doubt that you'll offer up another ration of abuse as a result
of this post, so fire away. I'm a big guy and the fact that an asshole
doesn't like me isn't something that will cause me to loose any sleep.

Nomen Nescio wrote:

you're too lazy, and too self-righteous...So why don't you get off your lazy ass...where there are morons like you...your useless two cents worth,,,You and your kind wouldn't last ten minutes around my marina

You should have spent some of that money...on remedial English classes, skippy. Do you mean "Skis"?

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979