H the K H the K is offline

Default Gun saves another day

On 7/23/09 7:53 AM, thunder wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:37:45 -0400, H the K wrote:

http://www.virginiacops.org/Articles...ing/Combat.htm

My guess is that the police don't train sufficiently for close-in
shooting. I always "warm-up" at the range by first shooting at a target
7 to 10 feet away, then about 20 feet away, and then I run the target
out to 75 feet.

You also need to learn a good pistol pointing technique.

You might want to read down in the article where it states there is a
clear disconnect between range marksmanship, and combat hitsmanship. I
think Calif Bill is correct when he states "Hard to aim when ducking for
cover." As for training, NYPD is second to none.

I'm aware of the disconnect.
The only way to be proficient with firearm is to practice, practice,
practice. Now, whether you could shoot someone in combat, that's a
separate question. There's no way to train for that, not really. You can
make your gun handling, positioning, aiming, shooting a reflex, as it
were, but shooting someone, especially the first time, is a leap of
another magnitude, or at least it is for a non-automaton.

I'm just not that impressed with tales of cop gunmanship. Certainly
there are cops who excel at handling firearms, but I don't think that
applies to your typical cop. I've seen too many of them shoot badly at
the ranges, and very few that shoot well. I don't think many of them
practice enough.

--
A wise Latina makes better decisions than a dumb elephant.