Nomen Nescio

Default Seeking advice and suggestions

Paul stepped up to the mike, and delivered this of himself:
]
]I think it should be emphasized that this is a list of project
]boats.

And you get this idea where? What is it with you people? You all
are acting like you're guarding the secrets of the freaking
universe, when all this Topic-Mimara guy wants is someone to
help him figure out what he wants! Geez, its a freaking boat
for crying out loud! How you all can overcomplicate it the way
you have, is beyond me. He's not asking for an advanced course
on celestial navigation. He said it himself: He wants a boat he
can put on a river, and take out to the ocean once in a while.
It isn't like he said he's intending to circumnavigate the earth.

]The original poster stated that he did not want a project
]boat and it certainly appears that between his eagerness,
]lack of experience and unfamiliarity with the language that
]he might not readily grasp what these boats might entail.

And neither you, nor anyone else can be bothered to get off your
lazy behinds (or high-horses) and give the man some help. How
convenient for you that you can spout your self-righteous spew
in his direction, without helping him at all. Where I come from,
we all help the other denizens of our marina. We don't treat the
newcomers to the slips this way. If you see that he doesn't have
any experience, then why can't you ask some simple questions to
find out what he actually wants to know? If you see that he doesn't
have familiarity with the language, then why can't you be bothered
to explain it to him in terms he can understand? If you see that he
might not have a grasp of what it entails, why can't you be bothered
to explain it to him, and help him find out what he is trying to
ask? Is that too much for you?

]Sorry, I realize I'm guilty of yet again not making his life
]simple but I don't see a "simple" in here.

That's because you're too lazy, and too self-righteous to ask
some simple questions. And yes, you're guilty all right. You're
guilty of attempting to discourage someone from getting into
the boating scene, while you try to look like you're trying not
to be discouraging. Quite the dancing act you've got going. Maybe
you should sell tickets.

I see a "simple" here. I see that it's a simple matter of asking
some questions to get to the root of what the man is trying to
say. I can see that he doesn't handle the King's English very
well, I can see that he has no boating experience. I can also see
that almost nobody else has bothered to ask the man about what he
really wants to do. Maybe he just wants a marina Queen. Maybe he
only wants a boat he can fix up, and invite some friends over to
have a drink at the marina. Maybe he only wants what he said he
wanted, but needs someone to expose him to the boating culture and
the accepted "jargon" so he can learn things the right way. He's
right about one thing though. All you people have been throwing
jargon his way, with not one explanation.

]He wants a ready to go boat from 25-40' for a max of 11k.

And there are two of them, within 5 slips of my boat that fit
his requirements. I went and asked about them yesterday. One
of them is 32' and needs new ignition wiring on one of the engines,
and the other is 30' and needs new props. They need some cleaning,
painting, and perhaps some minor maintenance, and then they would
be ready to go. And both are within a few hundred bucks of 10K.

]There will be plenty of brokers eager to push their own list
]of clapped out boats on him and sell him on the beauty a life
]on the water. I don't think we need to do their job for them.

No, you're being far too supercilious in exuding your
holier-than-thou attitude, to make it easier for you to discourage
the guy, instead of trying to help him. This guy doesn't need a
broker yet. He needs someone to ask him questions, to find out what
he really wants, expects, and can do. Then he can get some help
by finding out what he really needs to learn and know, before he
gets
to the point where he's spending money. I'd bet he's getting ready
to just give up the whole idea of getting a boat, just because a
bunch of stuck-up folks here have not been helpful. I wouldn't blame
him a bit, either. If this were what I got, when I wanted my first
boat, I would have quit too.

Topic-Mimara:

You drop me an email at aegis365 (at) hotmail (dot) com and I'll
be happy to give you all the answers to every question you can
come up with. I've been boating for over thirty years, and I have
never seen a bunch of people less willing to help newcomers than
I have seen here. If you can, come on down to Savannah, and I'll
show you some good old fashioned Southern Hospitality too.

---
-
Those who complain about others not being "team players"
are the same ones who never give up the ball.
-----