Jim Jim is offline

Default Westerbeke 10 Two

Jim wrote:
Hi,

New to group. Have a 1986 NONSUCH 22 with a Westerbeke 10 Two. Am
looking for a replacement fresh water cooling pump (Westerbeke #33197
I think). They want $540 for a new one. I found markings on the
block today...K2AS 0.451L. On the other side of the engine under the
oil filter it has H18 with a 2 under that.

Is this a Mitsubishi K2AS block? Are more reasonably priced water
pumps available? Or is there a pump rebuilder that can fix my old
one. A local machine shop that rebuilds pumps said the impeller would
be ruined when he presses out the shaft and he doesn't know where to
find a replacement impeller.

Any help will be appreciated. I am in the San Jose CA. area. Thanks
in advance.

A lot of power boats that have Chevy engines have the water pump
replaced by an automotive one, partly because the part number cast into
the housing is the same. It looks, to the untrained eye, that they just
raise the price because it's for a boat.

The pumps aren't the same, the bushings and the impeller are both different.

I'd look for a better price, but use the proper marine pump. You might
save a few dollars in the short term, but it will cost you in the long run.