Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Autopilot

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:53:41 GMT, L. M. Rappaport
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:37:07 GMT, "Daniel E. Best"
wrote (with possible editing):

Larry,
I'm not at all familiar with your boat, but would there be any way to
rig a tiller pilot to work? These are devices designed to by used by
sailboats w/ a tiller, but are often also used with some wind vanes
(like the monitor). They steer the boat to a compass heading, but most
can also be interfaced to accept NEMA and steer to a waypoint. Cost new
starts about $300

Dan,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not familiar with tiller pilots that
accept NEMA data, but now that I know there are some, I'll definitely
take a look. Thanks.

If all you need is to hold a straight line, you don't even need to
hook up the NMEA. The autopilot will follow the magnetic course you
start it on with its internal fluxgate compass.

I don't know how to mount a tiller pilot on a motor boat. I use one on
my sailboat with the emergency tiller. I do plan to hook up the NMEA
but it works without it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood