werlax

Default prop pitch/rpm and trim?

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:aAdQa.47033$GL4.11297@rwcrnsc53...
Trim all the way down and go WOT. Then when cooking start to trim up for
max speed / rpms. If the boat starts porposing or the outdrive cavitates you
went too far so rinse and repeat.

That is basically what I did. It sounded to me like the engine was
whining a bit so I tried trimming down but it didn't change the engine
sounds much. I wasn't able to affect the top end speed by trimming.
The only thing that changed was the RPMs.

Once you *find* max note the RPM's - if it's over 5000 you could prolly go
up a pitch. If you have aluminum prop @ 23 you should go to a 25 stainless.
If it's a stainless 23, have a prop shop make it a 24.

Remember going up in pitch will hurt your holeshot a bit.

Yeah, considering that the lake I most frequent has a speed limit of
40 will be a large consideration. I will be mostly pulling
tubers/skiers. Since this boat is new I just wanted to do some
testing and make sure that I'm doing it right.

Borrow a GPS for best speed measurements.

As soon as I scrape up the cash I will be replacing my fishfinder with
a fishfinder/GPS.

Thanks for the tips.