posted to rec.boats.building
JustWait JustWait is offline

Default Gunwale wood

wrote:
I am repairing a fiberglass dinghy which has wooden gunwales. The
gunwale wood is rotten and cracked. The inwale and outwale are about
1/2" by 1 1/4" in section, about 11 - 12 feet in length. Where do I
get a replacement hardwood in this size and do I need to steam bend,
or can I just stress bend it using existing bolt holes? What material
is the best for the least?

I don't know if you are going to have to steam it but Douglass Fir if
you can find a piece or two clear enough and straight grain so there
isn't a lot of runout on the grain. If you don't want to steam bend and
it won't go around otherwise, you could make it from 1/4 inch strips, 4
all together, two in, two out... But Doug fir (not pine, hemlock, etc,
but Doug fir) if you can get it is pretty strong and holds fasteners
well, does well in the wet environment...