posted to rec.boats.building

Default Gunwale wood

wrote:

I am repairing a fiberglass dinghy which has wooden gunwales. The
gunwale wood is rotten and cracked. The inwale and outwale are
about
1/2" by 1 1/4" in section, about 11 - 12 feet in length. Where do I
get a replacement hardwood in this size and do I need to steam bend,
or can I just stress bend it using existing bolt holes? What
material
is the best for the least?

Hondouras Mahogany would be my choice.

You fabricate the pieces needed using common wood working tools.
(Tablesaw, planer, router, clamps, etc).

Depending on bend required, you may have to laminate strips to get
desired shape.

Have fun.

Lew