Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default PDQ 39' sailing catamaran FOR SALE

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:09:10 -0400, wrote:

Thanks, Rick. That sounds less onerous than what I usually hear about
watermakers and the difficulty of maintaining them. On a larger boat
with room for ample solar panels, or even a wind gen, the power draw
you describe wouldn't be impossible to live with, either.

Most folks I've run into have bought larger than needed watermakers,
so they wind up not running them enough. They will give problems if
not run regularly, at least an hour a day. Those folks wind up running
them maybe once a week or even wait a couple weeks until the water
tank is dry, and usually don't flush with product water before
shutdown. A recipe for disaster. They tend not to pickle them when not
going to be used because they haven't run it for a few days then
"forget", another recipe for disaster.

I've heard the excuse, "It's too much trouble." I don't buy that. The
daily routine is a lot less trouble and effort than raising or dousing
the mainsail! Come on, flip the switch, make a glass of water and test
(taste test is best, TDS meter okay), grab a gallon jug, fill the jug,
move the valve to the water tank, when water comes out the tank vent,
drop the slternate intake in the jug, move the intake valve, when
about a half gallon or so of jug water goes in, flip off the switch.
Take a look at the prefilters through the clear case. If ucky, pop
them out and put the 2nd set in, wash off the first set and let dry in
the sun.

Heck, the daily routine takes less effort and time than putting on the
mainsail cover, but everyone seems to know that if you don't put on
the cover, your main will soon be UV rotted!

Rick