Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default PDQ 39' sailing catamaran FOR SALE

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 13:02:30 -0500, Rick Morel
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 23:11:05 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

Much snipped

I would consider a 4-cycle outboard if the Perkins died, but we have
too much overhang, plus the dinghy/davits would have to go. Here goes
another discussion maybe... If the Perkins dies, I plan on replacing
it with a DC electric motor and diesel generator. The motor would
probably mostly be run from the house bank for short periods and
calmer conditions.

Your preliminary comments are correct :-)

I'm interested in your reasoning for the electric drive as it seems to
present no advantages to have a diesel fueled generator which charge a
set of batteries to provide power to an electric motor to turn a
propeller.

Given that any mechanical or electrical device will have some losses
it would seem that there will be less efficiency then a system that
connects the diesel engine directly to the propeller rather then going
all round Robin Hood's barn, as it were.

Rick

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)