Larry W4CSC

Default for W4CSC

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:18:38 -0500, "Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at
attbi dot com wrote:

H'mm. Convenient, but it violates KISS. Where (electrically) do you put
the radios -- you may use both VHF and SSB while not at sea? What does the
relay coil draw -- 5 or 10 watts?

Radios run off the switched power panel. Question 2, yes. You're
free to turn off any of the controlled breakers if you just want to
use one piece, say for 20 meter SSB. Relay coil draws about 1/2A.
That draw is nothing compared to the dead batteries of leaving
something on this system simply secures.

On Swee****er, all the "at sea" equipment was in one column on the panel,
next to the nav station. Convenient. Simple.

On Fintry we'll probably have color codes on the switches and maybe a master
"at sea" breaker (breakers are cheap). All the electronics will be on a DC
subpanel in the wheelhouse. Simple.

The relay allowed me to split up the load. There are actually two
small panels tied to the relay by the batteries, one at the nav
station below and the other at the helm. This "remote control" makes
it simpler to wire as the wireways between helm and nav are just
jammed. It also reduces wire length and "amps/feet" by splitting the
load right near the batteries. The nav load goes one way, the helm
load the other. Better "housepower"...

Larry W4CSC

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"