Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default Machining Characteristics of Plastics

Once again Glenn comes up with the winning response in a later
message. The only thing I'll add is that nylon is moisture sensitive.
It absorbs moisture easily and expands with moisture content (at
least when compared to most other plastics).

If you are looking at something like a tight fitting sleeve bushing then
I'd avoid nylon and use acetal or UHMW.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
. 16...
I have a KISS wind generator that develops vibration at certain wind
speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting that goes over a 2"
stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose fitting. I want to
machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and make it out of plastic.
However, I really don't have any experience machining plastic, I've been
looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw Materials/Plastic Material/Rods for
3" material. To keep costs under control I'm looking at the following: