surfnturf

Default I need your advice for a new boat

Hi Lloyd,
Another reason for greater longevity in the northwest is the "blessing" of
colder water. Each 10 Celsius ( 18 F)will double rate of corrosion.
I'd guess I/Os will last forever in the Bay of Fundy.

surfnturf

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:18:48 +0000, Ed wrote:

One reason for not going I/O in florida is that fact that we have a 12

month
season. An I/O has a finite time in the salt water and since our boats

are in
the water 3x those of northern boats, the I/O will get trashed faster.

An
outboard can be lifted 100% out of the water when not in use.

Nope, not so. Here on the West Coast our season is pretty much 12 months

as
well. I was referring to the boats in the marinas, that are in salt water

24/7/364
(one day a year to scrape'n'paint). Don't know of anyone that pulls their

boat
out "for the winter" - winterizing is mainly put a tarp on it, maybe add a
heater.

However, one difference might be that due to lower water temps, the drive
doesn't gunk up as fast. Also, there seems to be a feeling in SE US that

salt
water is like acid - perhaps your water is saltier?

Also, based on pics I've seen of SE US, the average age of boats around

here is
MUCH older, so for most of these, the only way to get 4-stroke was to go

I/O.
I'm slowly seeing the workboats converting to 4-stroke outboards, but most

of
them are still I/O (those that aren't true inboards or diesels)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36