Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Machining Characteristics of Plastics

Based upon input from this forum, rec.crafts.metalworking and all of the
pointers that were provided, I decided to go with black UHMW. As
described on some web sites it's the "poor man's teflon" with a very low
coefficient of friction, good UV stability and machines well. On top of
that, a 3"x1' piece of rod UHMW is only $11. I ordered it yesterday
from MSC and it'll be here today.

I've opted to simply machine the UHMW to form the sleave bearing surface
rather than purchase a sleave bearing and mount it in the housing. I'll
let you know how it turns out,

Thanks again for all of the help!

-- Geoff

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in
nk.net:

Once again Glenn comes up with the winning response in a later
message. The only thing I'll add is that nylon is moisture sensitive.
It absorbs moisture easily and expands with moisture content (at
least when compared to most other plastics).

If you are looking at something like a tight fitting sleeve bushing
then I'd avoid nylon and use acetal or UHMW.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
. 16...
I have a KISS wind generator that develops vibration at certain wind
speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting that goes over a
2" stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose fitting. I want
to machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and make it out of
plastic. However, I really don't have any experience machining
plastic, I've been looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw
Materials/Plastic Material/Rods for 3" material. To keep costs under
control I'm looking at the following: