Doug Dotson

Default Machining Characteristics of Plastics

What kind of speeds are producing this effect? My KISS doesn't
produce any significant vibration up to 30 kts or so. That is as fast
as I have run it. Have you checked the balance of the blades? A
slight unbalance in the blades might induce a vibration in the
mounting. I chose to use 2" SS tube rather than sched 40 pipe. The
PVC fitting is a snug fit. The KISS came with an assortment of
fittings to fit a number of different kinds of pipe. If the 2" tube fits
the KISS better than the sched 40 pipe, perhaps attaching a short
length of 2" tube to the top of the pipe for mounting would be a
simpler solution.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
. 16...
I have a KISS wind generator that develops vibration at certain wind
speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting that goes over a 2"
stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose fitting. I want to
machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and make it out of plastic.
However, I really don't have any experience machining plastic, I've been
looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw Materials/Plastic Material/Rods for
3" material. To keep costs under control I'm looking at the following:

Nylon
Acetal
UHMW
LDPE
HDPE

Comments on the machining qualities, UV resistance, and overall strength

of
these would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff