Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default For Vic: Fuel efficient boat

On Jun 29, 2:34*pm, Gene wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:19:01 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch

wrote:
From what I can determine, once a boat is on plane, it is primarily
the weight that determines fuel efficiency so a lighter weight boat
should give much better fuel economy.
BUT, as I have found with my Tolman which is very light for her size,
a lightweight boat is easily pushed around by a wave due to less
momentum. *So, although you might consider a boat made from new
lightweight composites, would it be as seaworthy as a heavier one?
This is actually a practical consideration for me if I build a Tolman
Jumbo with slightly gretaer deadrise than the design. *More deadrise
will make her pound less but will the lightweight make her less
seaworthy than similar heavier boats?

By definition: flats boat. *Stay out of the waves....
--

Forté Agent 5.00 Build 1171

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Tolman reccomends a 60 hp engine for my 20' Tolman Standard because it
is so light. I went with a 90 hp 2 stroke but its weight plus the 9.9
kicker was enough that I had to place my batteries forward and run 00
gage battery cable (expensive) and I have to be careful to have my
passengers sit forward to balance here well.
So, what if I went with a 125 hp 2 stroke and placed my batteries even
further forward AND incorporated tanks that could be filled with
seawater to give her enough momentum to get through waves (also assume
more deadrise). She could be lightweight for normal conditions but
then heavy enough (by filling the tanks) for wavy conditions.