Loogypicker[_2_] Loogypicker[_2_] is offline

Default So Sad:Mercury Marine joins industries Dirty Dozen

On Jun 28, 2:57*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:55:40 -0400, HK wrote:

Who makes
Evinrude? Not Evinrude. The brand name is just an asset bought on the
cheap.

I know the pre-bankruptsy Evinrude 4 strokes were Suzuki. The strange
thing is Suzuki has a fairly good name but the Evinrudes really
sucked. They had a 2 for 2 failure rate in the 2 neighbors I knew who
had them. Both had corrosion problems that led to catastrophic power
head failures.

'Zukes and Yamahas are the outboard power of choice, I think, with Mercs
third.

In the good old days, when my dad was a boat dealer, Evinrudes and
Johnsons had the best reps for corrosion resistance, and Mercs were a
distant third. Merc, my dad said, passed the OMC products in the mid to
late 1960's in that regard. I don't know if that was the case, but it
was my dad's opinion. I do know that Merc used a lot more aluminum in
the 1950s and 1960s than OMC...

Seeing how Harry was proven wrong ie: Mallory starters, I wondered how
long it would take for the thread to evolve into yet another series of
lies about Harry's father.