Lloyd Sumpter

Default I need your advice for a new boat

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:19:13 +0000, Kharlosan wrote:

Hi all, I am not a boater yet but I am planning to be one very soon. I live in
South Florida and I think the kind of boat that fit in my desires is a new Walk
Around between 22 and 23 feet. The advice I need is about the manufacturer brand
I should consider, Outboard or I/O, 4 or 2 strokes. Please let me know the
reasons of your recommendations and share your experiences.
Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Regards.
Carlos

I agree with Ed that you should buy used. Your first boat is almost NEVER your
last. You might try chartering a few to see what you like before you buy at all.
Also, as he said, a boating course is a must.

It sounds like things are different in the SE US, but most larger boats here in
the Pac NW are I/O. One reason is that they're all 4-strokes. I personally
prefer I/O: I feel they are quieter (and I like the lower-pitch sound better!),
I like the 4-stroke, I like being able to work on it when the boat's in the
water. Of course, my REAL preferance is a "true" inboard...

Add a small 4-stroke kicker as a "get you home" motor and for trolling.

New twin 4-stroke O/Bs are pretty nice if you can afford them, though...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36