[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default electric motor for 7ft mercury inflatable digny?

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 06:53:33 -0700 (PDT), richard
wrote:

We sold the 25ft boat but still have the 7 ft inflatable. We live in a
city apartment. The old 2 horse power gas engine works fine but we
cannot keep it in the car or apartment due to its gas fumes. We are
thinking about an electric motor for the dingy. Any suggestions or
ideas as to what we should look for?
as always, thanks for you comments

BTDT - I don't recommend it at all. You will have a motor which weighs
as much or more than what you have now, PLUS one or more 60 pound
batteries that give you a one hour run time (at lower speed than your
present motor) before you have to lug them ashore and charge them for
12 hours.

Pay a few bucks to someone to store it in their garage or back room of
a gas station or something.

If you can't manage that, sell the RIB and buy either kayaks, or a
portabote, which rows very well, can also be sailed with an optional
kit, and folds flat for storage.