Steve

Default Wireless remote anchor windlass control

I have a Lewmar 1000 that is reversible.

I agree with the need for a method to operate it while moving about the
boat.. Especially when I want to be in the cockpit to operate the engine
controls while setting or breaking out a fouled anchor..

I considered the wireless remote but that was beyond my elex. skill level.

I wired in a pair of jacks into windlass controller circuit, parallel to the
deck 'toe' buttons. One jack is just inside the foredeck hatch and the other
is in the cockpit. I then made up a windlass control pennant on a 12 ft
cable. The switch is just a ordinary toggle (on-off-on) in a small narrow
box (comfortable for a single hand and thrumb to operate).

I can plug it in, in the cockpit or while I'm on the bow..

It really comes in handy when I have to go out on the bowsprit to turn the
anchor before it comes over the roller.. Also if I have a lot of chain out,
I like to go down to the chain locker and make sure the first 100 ft of
chain falls in the aft end (deepest) of the locker.

The windlass controller is electro/magnetic and will not allow both forward
and reverse signals so I don't have to worry about accidently stepping on
the 'toe' buttons while operating the remote.

Now I want to develop a mechanical method of counting the gypsy rev.s in and
out to compute the amount of chain I have out. (markings and tags have never
worked for me).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve