Evan Gatehouse

Default The ultimate saildrive- Retractable Voidth-Schneider

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I don't think it is quite ready for prime time yet but here is an
interesting idea. A small retractable Voith-Schneider drive like those
used on modern tugs. Retracts flat into the hull and when extended will
deliver thrust in any direction. http://www.spw-gmbh.de/en/hb/

Wow. I'm not a great fan of VS drives ('cause they have lower efficiency
than ducted props) and they are hideously expensive. I'm surprised he has
got around the VS patents!

The new Volvo 70 rule allows for retractable propulsion systems - using a
Volvo engine and shaft drive. Not sure how designers will make this work
but it will be interesting to see if can trickle down to more mainstream
designs. Now I want to sit down with a sketch pad and start thinking about
this!!

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)