Wizard of Woodstock Wizard of Woodstock is offline

Default A Verizon Day

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:00:09 -0700, jps wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:06:35 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:38:50 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

I later called Verizon tech support myself and had him walk me through the
configuration and ISP assignments again. Much to my surprise ... it
worked! So it's up again .... until Wednesday.

Sometimes it's not clear when there's a screwup.
About a month ago my Comcast internet stopped working.
Odd, because usually I lose phone/TV/internet.
I gave it overnight to fix itself, then called.
The girl was sharp, and walked me through the unplug this and that,
which I had already done.
Didn't work of course.
Then she asked for the Mac address of my modem.
Found that with a magnifying glass, gave it to her, and she said
unplug the modem again for a few seconds.
It worked.
She said the Mac address had been deleted from the database.
Go figure.
I spent half my life in IT but never had any interest in comm stuff,
so I let the kids do it.

--Vic

Comcast seems to have a hard time keeping mac addresses in their
database. Same thing has happened to me twice.

I think what happens is some entry-level dildo goes into delete
someone's mac address and inadvertently deletes someone else's.

Comcast seems to be inconsistent in some ways. My brother, who is a
big time IT type, has all kinds of problems with Comcast, but I know
people next town over that just rave about their service.

Weird. Kind of like a 50/50 thing - you either like their service or
hate it.

I've had Charter now for a few years and it's been ok - the speeds are
never consistent, but as least I'm getting 75% of what I'm paying for
instead of the 50% I used to get.