posted to rec.boats.building
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Paddleboat using a riding lawn mower drive train.

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:17:37 -0500, Jim Willemin
wrote:

"Dan Listermann" wrote in
:

I need a boat for a very shallow river. Paddles, especially with
stiff rubber tips, seem like a good alternative and a riding lawnmower
drive train would give me reduction, reverse and a variety of gears.
Anybody know of some experience?

seems to me you'd almost be better off poling. Lawnmower drivetrains are
kinda heavy, forcing you to either a deepish draft or a huge boat, and
paddles just don't seem like they are all that efficient. On the other
hand, something like a longish jonboat and a nice 8 foot pole should take
you most anywhere you want to go...

Oh, you're no fun although correct regarding practical considerations.
The "huge" part could be gained by making it beamy, maybe wider than
the paddles. Say 1000 # payload for two riders plus lawnmower stuff
plus boat, 5' x 10' area would draw about 4". Make two side paddle
wheels with differential speed like a zero turn mower, and he'd steer
like a dozer. With that much wetted area, it'd go like one, too.
Paint it grey with low freeboard and mount a cannon turret amidships.

Damn, ok, get the pole and johnboat.

Pete Keillor