Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Cash for clunkers, hmmmmm

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:26:45 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

The old 1988 Dodge Ramcharger with some undetermined number of miles
on it gets roughly 12 mpg in town. It has not been running for a
couple of months but it has a new tag and is currently insured. Cash
for clunkers program says I can get $4500 for it. If the Obama wants
to throw money in the air, I wanna catch some cuz it'll make em go
bankrupt faster. Problem is, I do not want to buy a new car for my
son because of cost of insurance. So, is the program limited to
buying only a 2009 vehicle? There are a lot of $4500 vehicles out
there that run better than the Old Dodge.
Maybe I'll hold out for them to declare that my old Dodge to be worth
even more than $4500.
Even better, my neighbor needs a new truck but his old Jeep is worth
more than $4500. I could sell him the Dodge for $1 and he could sell
his Jeep for what it is worth and then use my Dodge as a trade for the
$4500 and then give me $2000 (more'n the Dodge is worth). I could
take the $2000 and buy a better truck than the Dodge for about $1500
and come out ahead $500.

I read elsewhere that it's full of gotchas.
You won't get anywhere near $4500.
Maybe $300 from the gov. But the dealer will add $500.
So you're going to lose $200 for trying to suck gov teat.

--Vic