Derek Rowell

Default Winter Cover Material - TYVEK?

I'm thinking hard about using Tyvek this year to cover my pearson 422. You
can buy it at Home Depot in wide rolls. Dupont advocates using it for
covers, see http://www.tyvek.com/na/covers/english/. It has also been
advocated for sails: http://www.boat-links.com/Tyvek/ and for hiking.

The problems I see are 1) I'm not sure about its abrasion resistance, 2) how
to join it at the seams, and 3) how to attach grommets (I saw an article
that said there is a problem). I have used Tyvek tape (not made of Tyvek -
used to join it) to hold blue tarps together over the winter and it faired
better than any other tape I have used. DuPont gives instructions for
sewing on their web site, but that's not something I want to get into until
I have a workable pattern. Maybe the tape is good enough???

Derek

"Graham" wrote in message
One material that I have not seen in shops but is talked about for car
covers etc is Dupont's Tyvek - This is a white material that is very

tough -
You see this used for Fedex envelopes and for sheathing houses. It is
apparently waterproof and very light. Anyone know of anyone making boat
tarps from this material? Any experience with it?

Graham