Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Marsh Harbor+Green Turtle (was) Volvo 2000 Diesel Stuck.

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:50:03 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Hi, Wayne,

We won't be leaving here before the end of the month. We may not actually
go to MH, first, as we have a sistership friend in GTC we'll visit.
However, if we can make it happen (have to check our paperwork to see) we'll
try to extend our visa which was good through at least sometime in July.

We'll likely post about our float plan; we expect but may not happen due to
air return costs to have our two grandgirls with us for the crossing.

If you're not going to be in the area for a while, we'll miss each other
that time. However, we expect to be in the Bahamas for many months, perhaps
a year and a half.

We'll probably start heading back to SWFL sometime after the 4th of
July. Hurricane risk rises quite a bit after mid-July and we have a
fairly secure dockage back at the house.

We've acquired a SPOT device which is faithfully reporting our current
whereabouts:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

From GTC we will work south stopping at Great Guana Cay, Marsh
Harbour, Hopetown/Elbow Cay, and Little Harbor.

What's the weather like there, currently? Our resident needler proclaims no
wind this time of year, other than hurricanes, and bugs...

It's hotter than I expected with light southerlies 10 kts or less. The
Gulf Stream crossing last week was dead flat calm. We've had some
light rain showers but it has been mostly clear.

What do you have to recommend about GTC as to touristy, cheap, stuff, and/or
diving/snorkeling/beachcombing?

There are some nice beaches/snorkeling on the east side, not far from
the Green Turtle Club on White Sound. The beaches near there can be
easily reached by bicycle but the roads are rough. The entrance
channel to White Sound has plenty of water and there is a lot of
anchoring room right now. We came in an hour after high tide and
never saw less than 8 feet of water. A lot of boats also anchor at
the south end of GTC in open water near New Plymouth Harbor. From
there it is an easy dinghy ride to downtown New Plymouth which has a
few stores and restaurants. There are other attractions such as a
small museum and a place with model boats. You can also dinghy from
there to Pineapples which is a classic cruising bar. The stone crabs
at Pineapples are excellent, and the happy hour drinks potent.