posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Off to the Bahamas

"Rick Morel" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:17:55 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

One of my gripes with the SPOT service is that positions roll off
after 7 days and there doesn't seem to be a way of saving them other
than taking screen shots of each page.

Wayne, you can get your positions. Log into your Spot account and
click on "Messages". You can export them to a GPS, KML or CSV file. I
don't think they don't stay there forever. but maybe so. I deleted
mine and after exporting and haven't used the Spot since then.

Rick

I feel sorry for boaters whose priority is a computerized display of their
wanderings.

It's totally sad that boaters no longer enjoy doing things and their
memories of doing things but would rather sit around gazing at a computer
display while spending time they could use for sailing sitting around
watching a display and showing said display off to others who also have no
clue as to what sailing is all about. Then rushing onto the internet to talk
to others who also have no clue as to the real purpose of boating. Again,
it's a bunch of little kids on a playground who don't do anything because
they enjoy it per se but so they can holler at the top of their lungs, "Hey,
lookit MEEEEE."

But, I keep forgetting this is the motorboat crowd. I suppose there really
are no fond memories of the chore of sitting endless hours in a pilot house
behind a steering wheel listening to a motor drone while smelling a constant
seepage of diesel fumes. I suppose there really are no adventurous people. I
suppose unless you can't operate your boat as if you were looking at some
kind of video game you would lose interest.

I guess it's no wonder that we real boaters operate under sail where there
is still challenge, physicality and interplay with the elements - not some
dumb computer display.

Wilbur Hubbard