Doug Dotson

Default Winter Cover Material

We generally recommend Surlast. It is lighter in weight than Sunbrella
and is just as durable if not a little more. Restitching every few years
is normal unless you use Gortex thread which is generally more expensive
than you would want for a cover. Fixing chafe points etc is just normal
maintenance for something like a cover. Blue plastic tarps are generally
a poor choice as they tend to act alot like sandpaper, especially if placed
over canvas items like biminis and dodgers. We had a case where one
caused damage when used through only one storm.

Doug

"Graham" wrote in message
Canvas winter covers are expensive and rot out in about 10 years (Quoted
C$1400 for a 36x22). Cheap woven plastic tarps wear out in a year or two
(Can buy similar size for C$100 - $200)

Has anyone used any other type of cover? One would think that here would

be
some type of synthetic fabric that would outlast canvas yet still have

it's
weight and abrasion resistance.