posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Off to the Bahamas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:43:01 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On Jun 10, 8:27*am, Wayne.B wrote:
We are just setting out on a cruise to the Abaco Islands in the
Bahamas. * Anyone who would like to follow our track on the web can
find it he
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0utTAiadygIUkT4LIXeoYfKADAn2Dkz os

That link is really fascinating. i really didn't investigate the spots
much but I was wondering at what increments it was recorded?

And it seems that the records started to hit just north of the
Bahamas. Wayne, why didn't it record when you hailed out of the
States?

Obviously, I'm missing something.

It is supposed to uplink a position report every 10 minutes but
sometimes there is a gap if the transmission is unsuccessful for some
reason such as the satellites being out of alignment. I also turn it
off at night to conserve battery power since there is no reason to be
sending multiple, redundant positions.

The first page of the SPOT web site shows the last 50 position
reports. On the left hand side you can select older pages going
backward in time, currently to page 5 (the start of our cruise).

One of my gripes with the SPOT service is that positions roll off
after 7 days and there doesn't seem to be a way of saving them other
than taking screen shots of each page.