posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default outboard oil mix

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:03:58 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

Not so sure. Gasoline flashes fairly low. But oil has lower octane than
any gas. So pinking or detonation could still be an issue, no doubt.
That's if the compression still makes it up there.....

Brian W

Steve Lusardi wrote:
50 to 1 Remember, too much oil will reduce the flash point of the fuel and
create detonation, which will melt piston and head.
Steve

"rckchp" wrote in message
OT. I'm reactivating a 1997 Evinrude 9.9 hp outboard and I've
misplaced the owner manual, and I don't remember the proper oil mix
ratio. Is it 50 to 1, or 100 to 1? Thanks.

Flash point has nothing to do with detonation which is controlled by
octane rating and compression.

Flash point is the temperature at which vapors ignite and since
kerosene (with its higher flash point) will burn in most internal
combustion engines it seems that flash point is of only minor
interest.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)