Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Off to the Bahamas

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:40:45 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Freeport is not a popular yacht harbor.

$3.08 here at Green Turtle Cay today, not bad actually, only about .70
more than south Florida prices.

We were there on a cruise ship. Mighty impressive piloting by the captain.
Wind was whipping from the side. Maybe 40 knots. And the captain takes the
ship from the dock with a tug standing by and makes the whole job look easy.
I think most of the side movement was wind and not thrusters.

Modern cruise ships have bow and stern thrusters that are unbelievably
powerful. We were on the Island Princess up in Alaska last month and
I believe they told us that each of the thrusters was something on the
order of 2,000 hp. It's all controlled by a couple of little joy
sticks out on the wing bridge.