Jim Woodward

Default Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension

We met an interesting and inventive guy on our trip through the Panama Canal
who dealt with this by making his own electric hookah -- take one Jabsco
diaphragm bilge pump, attach hose and a SCUBA mouthpiece and presto, you
have cheap device that will work down a few feet. You want a diaphragm bilge
pump, not a pressure water pump, because the former is relatively high
volume, low pressure.

We used a "real" hookah from Brownie for work on the boat. Vast overkill.

For Fintry, I'm thinking about using a commercial oil-less compressor
(Porter Cable, for example) which will run air tools and, through a filter
(same filters we use on our tank-fill compressor) drive a low pressure hose
for use down to ten feet or so.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Whenever I need to work on my prop, etc. underwater, I've just slapped
on the mask and fins and held my breath. But I've always wondered: why not
rig up a hose arrangement to be able to breathe? We're not talking 50-ft
depths here, so I'd think it would be pretty safe. Perhaps some kind of
non-collapsable hose on the end of a snorkel?

Does anyone do this? Why or why not?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36