Glenn Ashmore

Default Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension

I put together a filter system for a remote source pressure demand face
mask that I use when spraying 2 part LPU. All from modular Speedair
filters from Grainger. It starts with a general purpose
separator/filter then a regulator, then a coalescing filter to remove
oil and another general purpose filter with a carbon element to grab any
remaining VOCs. Same series as used on a $2K MSA air source for a total
cost of about $120.

With a little oilless compressor on deck it would make a very acceptable
air source for bottom cleaning.

Jim Woodward wrote:

We met an interesting and inventive guy on our trip through the Panama Canal
who dealt with this by making his own electric hookah -- take one Jabsco
diaphragm bilge pump, attach hose and a SCUBA mouthpiece and presto, you
have cheap device that will work down a few feet. You want a diaphragm bilge
pump, not a pressure water pump, because the former is relatively high
volume, low pressure.

We used a "real" hookah from Brownie for work on the boat. Vast overkill.

For Fintry, I'm thinking about using a commercial oil-less compressor
(Porter Cable, for example) which will run air tools and, through a filter
(same filters we use on our tank-fill compressor) drive a low pressure hose
for use down to ten feet or so.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com