Glenn Ashmore

Default Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension

It would be extremely dificult if not impossible to breath through a
hose at surface pressure if your lungs get more than 2 or 3 feet under
water. The difference at 3' is only about 1.5 pounds per square inch
but the water is pressing on a couple thousand square inches of lung
surface.

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Whenever I need to work on my prop, etc. underwater, I've just slapped
on the mask and fins and held my breath. But I've always wondered: why not
rig up a hose arrangement to be able to breathe? We're not talking 50-ft
depths here, so I'd think it would be pretty safe. Perhaps some kind of
non-collapsable hose on the end of a snorkel?

Does anyone do this? Why or why not?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

--