posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Keel configuration

John,
I am not familiar with this sand epoxy thing, so I cannot comment, but I do
know that there is no substitute for metal replacement when severe corrosion
is found. Also, be very sensitive to the requirements of coating aluminum.
You MUST use an etching primer to a pristinely clean surface. Otherwise,
nothing will adhere. Anything else is BS.
Steve

"EASI54" wrote in message

Steve Lusardi;717078 Wrote:
John,
EASI54

Thank you Steve for your reply. I wish I could give more info on my
vessel, but I don't have it. What I do know however is that it is a
custom french built sloop 1988 vintage and was put up for US gov't
property auction in 1995. I'm sure you get the idea of why it was
there.

The boat has been out of the water for four years( bought in 2004) and
have finaly begun restoration. The keel appears to be weeping slightly
and feel the waste water holding tank might be the culprite.( bilge
water drains there also from incidental rain sources) The keel has been
patched over the years and plan on taking it to bear metal to inspect
closer and probe the hollow forward section for corrosive dameage and
replace if necessary.
I plan on incapsulating the keel in epoxy first then second coating it
in a mixure of epoxy and sand that Paul Oman has recommended for this
project. Would this approach be adequate for aluminum corrosive
deterioration or sould I primer beforehand?
Any other recommendations by you will be greatly appreciated.
John

--
EASI54 [/i][/color]