Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island to Saint Simons Island GA April 18-19

The solution, of course, is to not run dead down wind in a heavy
breeze. The problem goes away if you harden up to a broad reach with
jib and main on the same side. The rolling stops and speed generally
improves. You will need to jibe once in a while but that's a small
price to pay for a safer, more comfortable point of sail.

Agreed - but the genny was poled to the needed windward side, thus the
rolling it in - only precipitated by the situation; we'd have done that
fairly soon anyway.

And, in our case, with all the rock and roll, a full broad reach (nothing
further than ~130) is needed for the genny not to be blanketed.

As we were due to turn that way anyway, what we were doing would have had us
as you've described. Unfortunately, by the time I got it dealt with (over 2
hours) we'd not only gone a long way north, but also a long way east...

Stay tuned for the finale...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."